Brain training induces histological changes, which support neuroplasticity, to improve brain function.
Histology refers to the microscopic anatomy of biological tissues, which include muscle, connective, epithelial, and nervous/neural tissues. Research has shown that brain training improves histology in neural tissue i.e. brain cells. It helps the brain build and repair structures to support connections between cells. (17 ways this happens are listed under the video.) The communications/electrical impulses that travel between these brain cells, and are dependent on these histological structures, are what constitute brain activity.
Neuroplasticity refers to the brain’s ability to reorganize itself and reallocate neural resources over the course of one’s life. This happens during growth and development from childhood into adulthood in response to learning, changes in environment, and healing after injury or trauma. Neuroplasticity allows the brain to repair (“re-wire”) damaged areas in order to regain lost or broken connections between brain cells and create new connections. This translates as restoration of brain function.
This video shows the “intricate, intertwining patterns” of the brain cell connections. Notice all of the branches on a single neuron… these branches create the connections between the cells.
17 Aspects of Brain Function and Health Rejuvenated by Training
1. Local and long-range myelination
2. Response powers (discharge magnitudes)
3. Response coordination in local networks
4. Parvalbumin and somatostatin neuron numbers, morphologies
5. Pyramidal cell dendrites; thalamocortical axonal input arbors
6. Neuromodulary expression on DA, ACh, NE, SE
7. High-speed successive-signal processing
8. Topographical order is restored
9. Cortical mini-column and column sizes, boundaries
10. Excitatory and inhibitory receptor subunits
11. Response selectivity (RF sizes); feature extraction
12. BDNF expression
13. Cortical “noise”
14. Distractor Suppression
15. Successive-signal adaptation
16. Blood-brain barrier integrity
17. Reactive hyperemia are rejuvenated